First, if you are female or Scottish, change into a pair of trousers. It is difficult to play the bodhrán in a skirt.
- Then you’ll want a short stool, bench, or a straight-backed chair with no arms.
- Put both feet flat on the floor, spread apart about 12 – 13 inches.
- Insert your non-dominant hand into the back of the drum, between the cross-pieces (if your drum has cross-pieces – many do not) placing the palm of the hand on the hide, fingers slightly spread.
- Rest the drum on the top of your thigh and tilt it slightly in and forward.
- Bend forward from the waist a little and wedge the drum into your side so that part of your torso acts as a dampening agent.